Thursday, June 26, 2008

the joy of ev'ry boy and girl.

Swimming A Mile in 12 Weeks
Today I'm just trying this on for size. I'll start on Monday the 30th. I'll still have my daughter in the pool a couple times a week for her laps but for this I need timed rest intervals that I just won't be able to get by alternating with her. The protocol "as prescribed" is for a mile in 6 weeks but I'm stretching it to 12.

The goal is 2100 meters for the week (3 sessions x 700 meters).

Week One (preview):
100 meters (Rest - 12 breaths) x 4
50 meters (Rest - 8 breaths) x 4
25 meters (Rest - 4 breaths) x 3
total: 675 meters

Today My 25 meter laps were cut short by the lifeguard on duty who informed me that they were closing the pool immediately because of lightening being sighted. However, my own goal of "testing the waters" went fine, its a good workout but not so much I can't complete it in a reasonable amount of time.


Afternoon Session
Swim: 675 meters (13 1/2 laps)
Time: 21:04
HR: ≈152bpm

2 comments:

Chris J said...

I remember my first mile swim. And the second, and the third, its all the ones after that blur together.

If you're good at swimming, it's not that hard. unless you want to do it all via the front crawl.

juandissimo said...

Chris, Thanks for your comment. So far its all the crawl, I'm going to keep it that way as long as I can. I'm not going for any speed records or training for the olympics here. I'm just a guy with a distance goal. - Glenn